LAST UPDATED IN MAY 2019
Seeds of Peace respects your concerns about privacy.
This Privacy Notice applies to personal information that Seeds of Peace, Inc. and its affiliates (“we” and “Seeds of Peace”) collect on the Seeds of Peace website (“the Site”). This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect, how we use the information, with whom we share it, and the choices you can make about our use of the information. We also describe here the measures we take to protect the security of your personal information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
• Information we collect
Information collected by automated means
• How we use the information we collect
• Sharing of information
• Your rights and choices
• Data transfers
• Protection of personal information
• Links to other websites
• Updates to our Privacy Notice
• How to contact us
• European Addendum: For individuals located in the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland
Information We Collect
The types of personal information we collect on the Site include:
• Contact information (such as your name, postal address, email address, and telephone numbers);
• Payment information (such as payment card details and billing address);
• Date of birth;
• Information on dependents and spouses;
• If you attend(ed) the Seeds of Peace Camp, information about your Camp session(s), education, and work history (such as job title and name of organization), your health/medical information and your race/ethnic origin, your nationality, your government ID, and other information relevant to keeping you connected to the Seeds of Peace community;
• If you organize(d) or participate(d) in any of our Camp sessions or information sessions, your religious affiliation;
• Names and email addresses of others to whom you ask us to send information; and
• If you apply for certain jobs with Seeds of Peace, information about your education, and work history (such as job title and name of organization), your driver’s license number, your résumé, whether you are over the age of 18 and are legally permitted to work in the United States or such other location as may be applicable, and certain criminal record information, such as whether you have been convicted of, or are facing charges pertaining to, certain crimes, to the extent permitted by law; and
• Any information you may provide to us when you fill out a “Contact Us” form on the Site.
In most cases we will collect personal information directly from you. However, in certain cases we may collect data from other sources, such as, referees, event patrons, and partners such as universities.
Information collected by automated means
When you visit the Site, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. The information we collect in this manner includes IP address, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on the Site, and dates and times of visits to the Site.
A “cookie” is a text file that a website sends to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser.
A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
Through these automated collection methods, we obtain “clickstream data,” which is a log of the content on which a visitor clicks while browsing a website. As the visitor clicks through the website, a record of the action may be collected and stored. Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of the Site.
Categories of cookies and other automated technologies
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order for the site to operate properly and enable you to use its features. Without these cookies, certain services (like shopping carts, etc.) cannot be provided. Essential cookies help us understand information, such as your session ID and other server authentication information.
These cookies are retained on the visitor’s browser until they are cleared by the user.
This category of cookies should not be disabled. If you use your browser settings to block these strictly necessary cookies, we cannot guarantee your security or predict how the Site will perform during your visit.
These cookies collect information about how visitors interact with the Site, such as what pages are visited and what errors may have occurred. The information collected is used to improve how the Site work. These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies you but generate statistical data about how visitors use the Site.
We use third-party website analytics services, such as those of Google Analytics. The services register a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website and to collect information about visitor traffic on the website. The information collected through these means (including IP address) is disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To learn more about the Google Analytics service and how to opt out, please visit Google Analytics »
To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before collecting personal information using cookies or similar automated means.
Your choices with regard to cookies
You can manage cookies through your web browser settings. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. You can find out how to do this for your particular browser by clicking “help” on your browser’s menu or by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all the Site features.
The following external links will explain how to manage cookies for the most common browsers:
• Internet Explorer
• Microsoft Edge
• Google Chrome
How We Use The Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
• communicate with you about news, events, and alerts;
• process and collect payments and donations;
• process your registration to events or participation in the Seeds of Peace Camp;
• process employment applications you submit and manage our employment relationship;
• process, evaluate, and respond to your requests and inquiries;
• protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities; and
Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent to send you marketing communications about our services and fundraising activities, and invite you to events and to participate in surveys. When we collect your contact details through events or other fundraising activities, we use the information to follow-up with you regarding an event, send you information that you have requested about our activities and, with your permission where required by applicable law, include you on our marketing information campaigns.
In addition, we use information collected online through cookies, web beacons and other automated means for purposes such as customizing our visitors’ visits to the Site and the manner in which our visitors browse the Site. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, to administer the Site, to identify visitors to the Site, and to gather demographic information about our visitors. We use clickstream data to determine how visitors navigate through the Site and how we may tailor the Site to better meet the needs of our visitors.
We also may use the information we collect in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
We do not obtain personal information about our visitors’ online activities over time and across third-party websites. The Site is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
Sharing of Information
We do not disclose personal information we obtain about you, except as described in this Privacy Notice and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. We may share your personal information:
• with service providers who perform services on our behalf; we do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. Examples of service providers include web hosting service providers, analytics services, email list management, online payment/donation platforms, IT service providers and our advisors
• if we believe we are required to do so by law or legal process;
• to law enforcement authorities or other government officials;
• when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss;
• in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity; and
• with your consent, with other third parties or for other purposes.
All service providers have entered into legally binding agreements requiring them to use personal information only as necessary to perform services on our behalf and to implement appropriate data security and confidentiality obligations, in accordance with applicable law.
Your Rights And Choices
You may have certain rights regarding the personal information we maintain about you. We offer you certain choices about what personal information we collect from you, how we use that information, and how we communicate with you.
To the extent provided by applicable law, you may request access to the personal information we maintain about you or request that we correct, amend, delete or block the information by contacting us as indicated below. Where provided by applicable law, you may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us or object to the processing of your personal information, and we will apply your preferences going forward.
To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists, or submit a request, please contact us as described in the How to Contact Us section of this Privacy Notice.
We may transfer the personal information we collect about you through the Site to countries other than the country in which the information was collected originally. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. When we transfer your information to other countries, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice and in accordance with applicable law.
Protection of Personal Information
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Links To Other Websites
The Site may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with Seeds of Peace. Linked websites, including those operated by Facebook (www.facebook.com) and Twitter (www.twitter.com), may have their own privacy policies or notices. We strongly suggest you review the privacy policies and notices of any linked websites you visit. We are not responsible for the content of any websites that are not affiliated with Seeds of Peace, any use of those websites, or the privacy practices of those websites.
Updates To Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will post a prominent notice on the Site to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us, in the US, by:
• calling +1 (212) 573-8040;
• emailing email@example.com; or
• writing to:
Seeds of Peace
370 Lexington Avenue, Suite 1201
New York, NY 10017
United States of America
Please contact us, in the UK by writing to:
Seeds of Peace UK
Suite 1, 3rd Floor
11-12 St. James’s Square
London, SW1Y 4LB
European Addendum: For individuals located in the European Economic Area, United Kingdom or Switzerland
If you are located in the European Economic Area (the “EEA”), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, the following specific provisions apply to our processing of your personal information in addition to or in lieu of the relevant sections of the Privacy Notice:
• The controller of your personal information is Seeds of Peace, Inc.
• We rely on the following legal bases under applicable law to process your personal information:
o If you have consented to such processing;
o Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party or in order to take steps prior to entering into such a contract;
o Where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject; or
o Where it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interest, such as to conduct marketing campaigns, to process registration for events, to process and collect payment and donations, to manage general HR administration, to conduct background check when this is permitted by local law and, to protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities.
• Some of the personal information we process, including your health/medical information and your race/ethnic origin and your government ID, are considered as special categories of personal information. We will only process these information in accordance with applicable law and will collect your given explicit consent when required.
• We may transfer to and store the personal information we collect about you in countries other than the country in which the information was originally collected, including the United States and other destinations outside the EEA, Switzerland and UK, in accordance with applicable law. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you provided the personal information. When we transfer your information from the EEA, Switzerland or the UK to other countries, we will protect the information as described in this Privacy Notice and comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of information to countries outside the EEA, Switzerland or the UK. This includes, where applicable, by entering into the European Commission’s EU Standard Contractual Clauses with the data recipients or ensuring that the data recipient has certified to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. To obtain a copy of the safeguards we have put in place, please contact us as indicated in the “How to Contact Us” section above.
• Where we need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to register your participation to events or to send you news and updates). In this case, we may have to cancel a service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
• Under EU data protection law, you have a number of rights with respect to the personal information we process about you, including:
o The right to object, at any time, to the processing of your personal information which is based on the legitimate interest legal basis.
o Where we process your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object at any time to such processing, including for profiling purposes to the extent that it is related to direct marketing.
o You also have the right to request (i) access to the personal information that we process about you, (ii) to have your personal information corrected or erased, (iii) to restrict the processing of your personal information, and (iv) to receive your personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly-used and machine readable format, and to transmit the data to another controller without hindrance from us.
o Where we have obtained your consent for the processing of your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of the processing that has happened based on your consent prior to the withdrawal.
• To exercise these rights or withdraw consent, please contact us using the contact details set out in the “How to Contact Us” section above.
• You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority.
• To the extent permitted by applicable law, we retain personal information we obtain about you for the duration of our contractual relationship, plus a reasonable period in order to be able to run regular deletion routines or to take into account the applicable statute of limitation period or to comply with mandatory applicable law.