Seeds of Peace is seeking a programming director with the ability to function in a challenging environment as both a creative thinker and effective manager.
Since 1993, Seeds of Peace has empowered new generations of leaders committed to working toward peace. For 20 years, Seeds of Peace has set the standard in international, people-to-people peace-building. Our goal is to fundamentally change the status quo in conflict regions by equipping a new generation with the skills, networks, knowledge and influence that can move their societies from ongoing hostility to lasting peace.
We start by providing exceptional young people from the Middle East and South Asia—those identified by their communities as potential leaders and influencers—with an otherwise unavailable opportunity to live with historic enemies for one month at our International Camp. We foster these new relationships, perspectives and skills through year-round local programs, continuing from youth into adulthood.
Seeds of Peace was founded by John Wallach, an award-winning journalist and author who spent years covering the Middle East and the Arab-Israeli conflict. John recognized that a transformation of people, not just a treaty on paper, is essential to real change in regions of conflict.
The Middle East Program Director will take responsibility for the overall management and direction of Seeds of Peace’s regional program in the Middle East, including oversight over and coordination between country programs and staff in Israel, Palestine (the West Bank and Gaza), Jordan and Egypt. This position reports to and collaborates closely with Seeds of Peace’s Director of Global Strategy and Programs, and coordinates regularly with Seeds of Peace’s New York office and other programming staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop a cohesive regional program plan—consisting of uni-national, bi-national, and regional/multi-national activities—that meets with the overall programmatic strategy and addresses the key drivers of conflict between Arabs and Israelis, in consult with Seeds of Peace Israeli, Palestinian, Egyptian, and Jordanian Program Directors, the Director of Global Strategy and Programs, and key alumni
• Work with key staff to develop effective program monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and broader impact assessments to inform Seeds of Peace’s regional strategy and structure
• Develop and maintain relationships with local governments, partnering organizations, media outlets, local and international donors, local US Embassies and consulates, and other relevant stakeholders
• Provide day-to-day management and leadership, modeling the kind of communication and cooperation that Seeds of Peace aims to achieve, for Middle East regional staff: the Director of Palestinian Programs (West Bank/Jerusalem), Director of Palestinian Programs (Gaza), Director of Israeli Programs, Director of Egyptian Programs, Director of Jordanian Programs
• Oversee the development and management of program development and budgets
• Work with Seeds of Peace’s development staff to ensure program deliverables are met and timely communication for grant development and reporting
• Engage in ongoing processes to determine effective strategies for organizational growth and professional development for regional staff
• Contribute to the larger discourse and field of international conflict resolution, particularly as pertains to the Arab-Israeli conflict
Essential Skills and Qualifications
Seeds of Peace will only consider applicants who possess the following skills and experience:
• Minimum five years of experience in peace-building, youth leadership development and/or related fields
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related area
• Strong knowledge of and experience in the Middle East and the various issues affecting the region
• Knowledge of and experience with conflict sensitivity, leadership development, and peace-building/conflict transformation
• Demonstrated project management abilities
• Experience managing and inspiring staff, particularly in multiple locations
• Proven ability to manage donor funding
• Technical capacity in program design, monitoring, and evaluation
• Creative problem-solving skills
• Effective communicator at all levels and in all media
• Must be able and willing to travel easily throughout the West Bank (potentially Gaza, pending security concerns), Israel, Jordan and Egypt
• Must reside in Israel or the West Bank Applicants who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered for this position.
• Willingness and ability to travel to US
• Experience with USAID and/or managing and implementing partnership agreements with government donors a plus
• Ability to converse in Arabic and/or Hebrew a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
If you wish to be considered for the position, apply below. Please e-mail email@example.com with any questions. No phone calls, please.
Seeds of Peace is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree Location: Jerusalem Job Category: Programming Sector: Nonprofit Type: Full-time Salary: DOE with Benefits Area of Focus: Children and Youth, Peace, War, and Conflict Resolution